What is a neuromodulator?
Neuromodulators prevent the release of acetylcholine from the neurotransmitter junction causing muscle paralysis.
The two types of Neuromodulators Contour Aesthetics offers in our practice:
1. Botox cosmetic is an FDA-approved treatment that can improve the appearance of dynamic expression lines and wrinkles by causing muscles relaxation.
Botox is FDA-approved for hyperhidrosis, excessive sweating of the underarms.
Botox is also, an FDA-approved treatment for migraines. If you are 18 years or older and have 15 or more migraine days per month, you maybe a candidate.
2. Xeomin® is made through a unique precision manufacturing
process that isolates the therapeutic component of the molecule and removes the unnecessary proteins that don’t play an active role in treatment.
Xeomin® is a uniquely purified neurotoxin.
How long does it last for?
In general both Botox and Xeomin last 3-4 months.
How long before I see results?
In general you will start to notice progressive weakness of your muscle movement starting around day four. The results of your treatment are not complete until two weeks.
Can I receive a neuromodulator when pregnant or breastfeeding?
Who is NOT a good candidate?
- If you have a history of a neuromuscular disease such as myasthenia gravis or multiple sclerosis.
- If you have an allergy to any of the ingredients in Botox or Xeomin.
- If you have a severe illness such as diabetes.
- If you are taking an aminogylcoside antibiotic, which can interfere with the effects of Botox.